Havaiki Nui

The Sacred Island, Home to the Hawiians and Maori's, and most of all..... Home to me and my family.... Gonna be Stuff, all sorts of Stuff and even a few choice photos that I feel the world should see...

Wednesday, March 29, 2006


Brenda this is especially for you.. Aloha Ia Oe, my cousin... May your music and grace only grow and benefit us all...

Gabby the legend, the master of the slack key guitar, Gabby, Feets, Atta, Barney, Moe, Sonny, they're all gone now, and I have lost friends, who welcomed this haole boy into their midst, and taught me about music, about culture and most of all taught me the meaning of Aloha. Aunty Alice Namakelua who, even as an octogenarian, would grace me with her presence and wit on my radio show, chide me gently about my mangeling of the Hawaiian language and play for me and Hawaii her compositions of songs long forgotton by the public, and on occasions would telephone me at the studio to correct me on some incorrect statement I made. She called me her haole boy and taught me the island ways and told me the stories of the Monarchy that she, herself had known up close and personal.. All of these great Hawaiian people, passed the torch to the younger Hawaiians, to the Makaha Sons, the Hui O'Hana, The Beamer Brothers, Olomana, Da Trio and countless others who were idolizing the masters and trying their very best to emulate them and learn what the elders knew and had learned from elders before them. These Hawaiians who in my time were the youngsters, are now the Kuupuna, the ones carrying the load and teaching again a new generation of young to carry the Aloha Spirit and the traditions of Hawaii... To all the parents and grandparents, I salute you.. You all did a very superb job.. Hawaii and Hawaiiana will live on.. Thank you Hawaii, for giving me humanity and humility.. For placing my feet on the Path to Havaiki Nui and for opening the door and making me o'hana..

Maruru Roa

2 Comments:

At 04:43, Blogger Chuck said...

I love the music and beautiful pictures, Ken...It's good to have you as a friend.

 
At 14:33, Blogger Chuck said...

Hey, my friend...I hope you haven't left already...haven't heard from you today...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home